Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Third day of life, June 17

The third day in the real world
“I came, I spoke, I was employed.”

I got a job today. Went into a somewhat local business, and asked what they had for job openings; I had already spoken to the manager before, but now was a more formal time to approach him about getting under his employ. The manager gave me a job, right there and then, not even questioning my background, or history in the dish washing business. I start my work tomorrow, on a 5 to 8 evening shift, just to see how I like it. Apart from applying to the job, I did a little bit of writing, and had an unexpected visit from the girlfriend, and a friend of hers. Her friend was the one who had dragged her to my house without any forewarning, and the whole situation was a little bit uncomfortable. I am not one to be dropped in on, seeing as I usually like to have a clean and presentable visage of the place before anyone shows up, and seeing as I normally need a purpose to visit with others. I guess it's just the way things work sometimes. After that situation, I continued working on my 10,000 hours of music, and nodded off early.
To clarify the last statement here, there was a book published a little bit ago called Outlier, you can probably find it on Amazon or in a book store if you're lucky, all about how some of the famous people we know today, and those who are not famous at all, become outliers of society, and something better and different. Though some of the concepts are strange, there was one part of the book that really stuck with me; the 10,000 hour rule. The rule states that after 10,000 hours of practice and performance of a certain skill or task, one will be a master of the skill; an example for me is playing Irish and World music for 10,000 hours to become a master in the art. It may sound hard, but really it just takes dedication to the trade or task. I hope to get going with my hours as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment