Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The fifth day of my life, June 19

The fifth day in the real world
“Walk in, sign up, get to work. That's day labor for you.”

I signed up with Labor Ready for temp work. It is always good to be in their systems, and it will give me the ability to learn many different jobs, in a very short period of time. I hope everything goes well with that. I continued working on my research on the Anglo Saxons, which was more than gratifying this time. I learned a little more about the lifestyle of the people during the dark ages, and how the economic designs of the clothing was devised not to look good, or even to fit comfortably, but rather to conserve cloth, and make the least number of seams in the garment as possible while at it. I believe that this was a pretty good way to go about it, even though the garments may not have been all that comfortable to begin with. Seeing as the common materials were flaxen linen and wool, the linen would soften as it was worn, and it would be rare to want to wear wool directly against the skin anyways. Leathers and furs were worn as well, but typically as over garments rather than straight tunics or trousers; they were more used in the forms of cloaks, gloves, armor, and shoes. The basic tunic confuses me though. It was designed with a flared base, and to be around knee length, mostly for mobility and coverage during the whole year. I wonder as to why there was as much flare (or goring as it is called) as there was to the tunics, seeing as it was a time for economic use of material. Why not go for short tailed tunics and good trousers, rather than knee length tunics in addition to trousers. I'll find an answer sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment