Friday, July 19, 2013

Making up for lost time

There are just some days that are too slow to actually make a full report of. So, instead, I think it is just as well to post my artwork here. I like this sharp gentleman here, very keen. I drew this a couple of years ago during school, just trying to get a handle on fantasy art pieces, as well as creating depth with the eraser, rather than border lines (though here, there are still border lines). This piece was done with a mechanical pencil, nothing more or less, and as far as art pieces go, this one came out pretty well.

Along the track of fantasy art pieces, I found a trick when working with my pencil; I now work out the kinks with the head and neck only after the rest of the body is drawn. It is nice to look at the page from time to time, and see a finished head, with a rough sketch here or there, but as it happens, if the head is the first thing finished, the piece begins to get tedious. Rather than having to adjust body flaws and sketches to the face, it makes more sense to work out the body, with a rough sketch of the face, and then complete that head and neck later. I have many an incomplete person drawing in my sketch books to prove the learning curve on this one.

Compared to other learning curves, the work that went into something like this was significantly shortened, all thanks to the little factor known as an 'Undo' button. This is a stock image piece that I made during a brief period where I had access to Adobe Photoshop (which is a nice program, by the by). Though I no longer have Photoshop, I do still enjoy working with some of the digital art programs, such as MS paint, or Gimp when dealing with a project too tedious or colorful for me to do out by hand. This piece was just an experiment, something to see what I could do with Photoshop. As it happens, the program was very much user friendly.
Just to add this in as shameless advertising...This is a link to my Deviantart page, where I've posted some of my creative writings, my sketches, and more. I hope that you enjoy what I've done as much as I have

No comments:

Post a Comment